Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Assignment #1


Introduction
            I grew up in Bellwood, Illinois but I currently reside in the south suburbs.  In 2009, I graduated with a B.A. in Communication and Culture from Howard University, which is located in Washington, D.C.  I have worked with children for the past six years.  Moreover, I have worked as a camp counselor, group worker, tutor, and Sunday school teacher.  I am interested in teaching middle school language arts.  I am attracted to “Direct Instruction” and “The Daily 5.”

Learning Foundation
            Mr. Johnson, my high school history teacher, saw potential in me during my sophomore year of high school.  He noticed that I had greatly improved in his history class.  As a result, Mr. Johnson encouraged me to consider taking the advanced placement history course.  He informed me that it would be a lot of reading and that overall it would be a challenging course.  However, he was confident that I was capable of succeeding in the course.  Mr. Johnson took the time to encourage me and challenge me.  He gave me a chance to excel in my learning.  He was not obligated to move me up to a higher class since I had not tested into the class.  Nevertheless, Mr. Johnson has inspired me to encourage and challenge my future students academically. 
            Dr. Cooper, my college English professor, was very helpful to all of his students.  He was always available for questions and feedback and he made classroom discussions and assignments interesting.  I was so engaged in his course that I would complete my papers almost two weeks in advanced.  I was sad when I found out that he passed away.  I will never forget this kind professor who inspired me to read, write, and think critically. 
            Professor Jones was one of my most challenging professors at Howard.  I took his Technical Writing for Pre-Law Students course.  He was a brilliant man who obtained a law degree and worked on Capitol Hill.  However, I did not like his personality at all.  If someone would give an answer to his question and he did not feel it was a good answer, he would express this aloud to the entire class.  He was very stern and he made it clear he did not like to repeat himself.  If any student made a mistake on their assignment he would tell them about it aloud in front of the entire class. 
            Professor Jones did not show students any sympathy.  In fact, he gave students a huge legal brief assignment that required hours of research in the law school library (please keep in mind that we were undergraduate students), and he made it very clear that he would not accepted the assignment even if it was only one minute late.  The morning the assignment was due I realized that my printer was low on ink therefore I needed to go and print out my legal brief at a nearby computer lab.  When I finished printing my assignment I realized that I only had a few minutes to get to the other side of campus to submit it to Professor Jones.  I was in such a hurry that I bumped into a glass door. 
            I will never forget that moment and I still blame it on Professor Jones to this day. 
I chose to speak about Professor Jones because he challenged my learning and work ethic to a higher level.  I realize now that he was only preparing students for what they could expect in their first year of law school whether they liked it or not.  As a teacher I never want to be afraid to challenge my students and take them to higher level of learning whether they like it or not. 

Recommended Texts

1. The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher
            This book gives readers practical advice on classroom management and teaching for lesson achievement.  It discusses effective ways to begin a school year and how to continue to be an effective teacher. 
            This book contains helpful advice and includes strategies that every teacher can implement in their classrooms. 

2. The Outsiders (Book and Film)
            This is a classic story of the struggle between the Socs and the Greasers.  Ponyboy, a Greaser, has a few things he can count on: his older brothers, his friends, and trouble with the Socs, whose idea of a good time is beating up Greasers.  One night during a brawl between the Socs and Greasers things go too far. 
            This a classic novel that can bring forth a classroom discussion concerning a lot of issues middle school students may face.  Teachers can use this book to reflect upon major themes found in the reading such as poverty, discrimination, violence, lack of parental support, lack of education, etc.   

3. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
             Charlotte Doyle, a 13-year-old girl, is on the docks of Liverpool, England to return home to her family in America.  She finds out that she will be the only non-crew member and female aboard the ship.  While aboard the ship, Charlotte is accused, tried, and found guilty of murder by the cruel and ruthless captain.  This story is her account of what happened aboard the “Seahawk” ship in the summer of 1832. 
            I personally found this to be one of my favorite novels during middle school mainly because of the vivid description the author gives throughout the entire book.  It is suspenseful and will be a great and maybe even a challenging read for students. 

4. Number the Stars
            It is 1943 and ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen experience school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers.  The Jews of Denmark are “relocated,” but Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be apart of their family.  Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen’s life. 
            I believe it is essential for students to read historical fiction.  This award-winning book will give middle-school readers insight into the Holocaust and World War II.  Students will be able to connect their reading to what they are learning in their social studies class. 

5. Jump Ship to Freedom
            Daniel Arabus is a 14-year-old slave in colonial America.  His father fought in the Revolutionary army and earned enough in soldier’s notes to purchase freedom for himself and his family.  However, after his father died, the slaver owner’s wife takes the notes away from Daniel’s mother.  After Daniel steals the notes back, his slave owner forces him aboard a slave ship headed towards the West Indies.  If Daniel jumps ship to New York he will have a long and dangerous road to freedom. 
            I believe it is essential for students to read historical fiction.  Students will be able to connect their reading with what they are learning in their social studies class concerning the Revolutionary War, colonial America, and slavery. 

Sources:
Goodreads.com
Bookrags.com
Books.google.com
Classzone.com
Scholastic.com/teachers/book/outsiders



No comments:

Post a Comment